Sunday 30 November 2008

Chinese Democracy

A week today, Guns 'n' Roses (or its remnants) released their long awaited album, Chinese Democracy. "Long awaited" doesn't really do the actual time-scale justice, for GNR's sixth studio album was fourteen years in the making running up a bill of thirteen million big ones!


I love Guns 'n' Roses. You can blame my brothers, 11 years my senior, for that. The fact is, I'm far from being the only one. Remember the band's massively popular Greatest Hits?

No album is worth waiting fourteen years for. That said, I'm shocked at how good Chinese Democracy sounds. I'm not saying it's the best album of the year, but really, I was expecting some overblown, self-indulgent tut, produced to within an inch of its life. I'd be lying if I said it didn't feature any of those things, but come on, this is Axl Rose.

Much of the album picks up were the dramitics of November Rain left off but interestingly begins with three tracks that wouldn't sound out of place on a Korn record. Shackler's Revenge is an album highlight. If The World should really have been this years Bond theme tune. Better than that White/Keys nonsense.

Axl's voice is still in tact. Somewhere in between a strangled cat and an aggressive feminist. Conversations I've had over the years has made me realise that to some, it really grates. Though, perhaps because of the memories of my youth, it makes my spine tingle.

If you think I'm going to post a track off the album, you've got another thing coming. Chinese Democracy contributed to the downfall of Geffen, and I can only imagine the legal team is like nothing I've ever seen. You'll have to make do with this cover, but fans of GNR should really download the album.

MP3: Mylo- Sweet Child o' Mine (Guns n' Roses Cover) DOWNLOAD

No comments: